The reasons why the corrugation most often fails:
- Clogging of the catalyst device occurs as a result of the fact that the car owner does not clean the assembly. Due to a clogged outlet, the pressure in the system increases, which goes to the corrugation. This contributes to its rupture in the thinnest place.
- Corrosion corrugation due to exposure to exhaust. This problem occurs when the powertrain mountings are damaged. Corrosion can be the result of drying out or deformation of the rubberized elements of the internal combustion engine fixation.
- Rubble or other small particles getting inside the exhaust pipe while riding. As a result of exposure to chemicals that treat the surface of the road in the cold season, burnout occurs. Such substances quickly corrode existing defects.
Symptoms by which you can determine the malfunction:
- uncharacteristic sounds from the exhaust pipe, like sneezing,
- car engine power drop,
- the operation of the power unit has become unstable,
- exhaust gases entering the vehicle interior,
- soot formation on metal components.
Channel "Made in the garage" talked about the faults of the corrugation in the car.
Algorithm for replacing:
- The nuts located on the studs of the collector device and the joints on the back of the pipe are loosened.
- The receiving line is removed, with the help of a grinder, the old vibration compensating device is cut off. When performing the task, you must be careful to remove only the weld. The grinder must not touch the flange and the pipe itself. If the corrugation is located under the collector device, these parts can be hooked.
- If part of the welds cannot be removed, they are removed manually. This will require a chisel.
- The preparation of the constituent elements of the receiving line is carried out, the parts are installed at the landing site and the rubber elements are changed. When installing the corrugation, you need to make sure that excess voltage will not collect on it. The element must not be compressed or stretched. Bends are also not allowed.
- When the receiving components of the device are fixed, the installation of a new corrugation and its fastening by welding. Then, the receiving line is removed and the corrugation itself is welded around the perimeter.
The need to completely replace the muffler may arise with the following malfunctions:
- Hot gases are regularly exposed to the inside of the device. This leads to premature muffler wear and erosion. When the power unit is idling and when overheating, the gases that remain inside are cooled too low. This contributes to the formation of condensate, resulting in corrosion on the metal and it is destroyed.
- From the outside, dirt gets into the device’s body during movement, and ice in the cold season. Regular exposure to moisture and contamination leads to rapid wear. If the driver does not drive carefully, damage to the exhaust pipe will result in damage to the ground. The tightness of the case is quickly lost.
How to troubleshoot a muffler?
The best solution to the problem is to replace the muffler with your own hands. But you need to change the device after it could not be repaired. The repair procedure may consist in the use of a bandage, which is made of high temperature tape. She wraps a damaged section of the exhaust pipe. The tape itself is usually made of fiberglass and can withstand severe temperatures, for better fixation, silicate or epoxy is added to the composition of the material.
The damaged area with the defect is wrapped with tape, and when it hardens, the pipe must be painted. For this, heat-resistant paint is used. Repair can consist in replacing a reinforced gasket located between the intake manifold and the silencer itself. When replacing this element, it must be installed in a similar position.
How much does a silencer cost?
On average, replacing a muffler costs from 1000 rubles, depending on the model of car.
Prices on the example of Bibizon company https: // bibizone. ru:
|Silencer Corrugation Replacement||from 3000|
|Muffler tuning||from 2000|
|Silencer installation||from 3000|
|Muffler Repair||from 1000|
1. The choice of a new muffler.
Car silencer can be understood as the entire exhaust system of the car, and only its very rear part, which comes out from under the body. But if we talk about the entire exhaust system from the engine’s combustion chamber, then it consists not only of a muffler, but also of several important elements. Therefore, in today's article we will pay attention to the part that is attached to the rear of the car.
According to a motoring textbook, a silencer is the closing part of the exhaust system of a car, due to which noise is absorbed. When using the highest quality parts, noise from the exhaust gas can be almost inaudible. However, choosing a quality muffler for your car is not so simple.
Features of car silencers
- special aluminized steel.
Moreover, the latter option can often be found on cars of foreign manufacture. This is due to the very high stability indices of this material: it is quite resistant to the appearance of corrosive foci. However, its cost is far from affordable for everyone, and therefore sometimes we have to dwell on ordinary steel. Fortunately, in our markets you can freely find domestic-made silencers made from the most ordinary black steel.
In the latter case, the price will fully correspond to the quality, and such a silencer will last no more than 1 year. But in the case of aluminized silencers, the operation period can stretch even up to 6 years. True, this is possible only if you manage to get on a really high-quality product. Otherwise, your money will simply fly away in the wind.
But it is simply impossible to recognize alluminized steel “by eye”. It is only with a black article that such problems almost never arise: it is either a black part or coated with silver paint, which helps to save products from rust before being sold and installed on a car. If we talk about silencers made of aluminized steel, then outwardly they have a very even white shade, similar to the color of aluminum. If you manage to get to products from an alloy of aluminum and zinc, which also boasts good stability, then they will be painted in the color of galvanized.
It will be more difficult to get stainless steel silencers, since official car manufacturers seized a monopoly on their production, thereby increasing the cost of such a minor part. And it’s not a fact that with the mass production of such silencers, they were very actively bought up, because their cost in any case would significantly exceed the cost of black steel products.
But the quality of the silencer lies not only in the reliability of the material from which it is made, but also in how it manifests itself in the absorption of sounds. That is, when buying a new muffler, it is more important to pay attention to its internal “stuffing”. Even if externally the two silencers are identical, inside their structure can be very different. In particular, the ability to absorb sound arises due to:
- a case made of two walls,
- the quality and reliability of the perforated pipes that are inserted inside the muffler,
- the volume of the internal cavity of the product,
- resistance of sound-absorbing materials to high temperatures, as well as to blowing.
It should be noted that the price of the muffler increases in proportion to the increase in its volume. However, the simpler the internal structure of the part, the cheaper it will be. However, it’s not worth it to trifle up, as unscrupulous sellers can offer you absolutely “no” silencer. But you do not want to hear the sound of the drum when driving in your favorite car?
Tips to help you get a quality muffler
For motorists with extensive experience, this task may not be particularly difficult. But for those who are faced with the replacement of a silencer for the first time, our advice may come in handy.
1. It is worth carefully choosing not only the muffler itself, but also the place of purchase. A product purchased from a dubious seller in a dubious place can greatly disappoint you. It is best to buy a silencer at a service station, where they can immediately attach it to a car. It will cost a lot, but in case of a malfunction it will be someone to complain and require a replacement.
2. Ask the seller as much as possible about the silencer, ask for product certificates. If there are any, the chances of acquiring a quality product increase significantly.
3. Before buying, it will be equally useful to search the Internet well and study in detail what the original product looks like. Then, when making a purchase, you can evaluate whether the copy matches the original at least in size and shape.
4. When choosing a silencer, first of all, evaluate its weight. The heavier the product, the better it will manifest itself during operation.
5. Pay attention to the build quality of the muffler. If there are folds at the seams - most likely, this is a fake.
6. A manufacturer’s stamp must be placed on a quality product, extruded by a press directly on its body. Tags and other "rubbish" cannot serve as confirmation of quality.
There is a certain list of characteristics that will indicate a low quality of the muffler. These include silver paint, under which black steel is usually hidden, the presence of deformations on the surface of the product, as well as chips, which is generally unacceptable. Low price also can not promise high quality.
2. What is needed to replace the muffler
In order not to stretch the replacement of the muffler for an indefinite time, all the tools necessary to complete this task must be immediately laid out at the place of work. In particular, you will need:
• heads necessary for unscrewing nuts of different sizes (nuts of the same size can be used on one car, but since we don’t know which car you need to work with, we advise you to prepare the whole set at once)
• ratchets for rotation of the heads,
• a hammer that has a special round butt,
• wrenches - plain spanners or combination spanners,
• a tool with which you can cut metal - it can be a hacksaw or a reciprocating saw,
• special clamps for the exhaust pipe (two are needed),
• penetrating grease and sealant, which will be needed when installing a new pipe,
• gloves for safe performance of work (both latex and tarpaulin are suitable),
• safety glasses that will also ensure your safety,
• a jack with which it will be necessary to raise the rear of the car,
• goats for reliable support of the car on weight,
• The silencer itself, which you are going to install instead of the old, directly.
3. Silencer replacement process
For ease of perception, the instructions for replacing a car muffler with our own hands, we will divide the whole process into two main stages: removal and installation.
Description of the process of dismantling an old muffler from a car
All work on the removal and installation of a new muffler must be carried out on a solid and level surface. Therefore, you can even just drive your car out of the garage and get to work on the spot:
1) We translate the gear lever in the “parking” position, and also pull the handbrake all the way.
2) We install shoes under the rear wheels of the car, which will not allow the car to change its position during operation.
3) Using a jack, lift the front of the body, then install the goats on the left and right.
4) Now the jack can be lowered, but this should be done as slowly as possible, observing how the car "sits" on the goats, and how strong and reliable this design turns out.
5) After that, it will be very easy for you to crawl under the car and tackle the old muffler. Often, it is located almost in front of the rear wheels, immediately behind the catalyst (well, and the catalyst leaves directly from the car engine).
6) If your vehicle uses the mounting option with clamps, then special penetrating grease must be applied to them and to the other mounting bolts. When the grease begins to act, it will be possible to loosen the clamps using deep heads for this. Two clips are usually used - one on the front of the muffler, the second on the back.
7) After that, you can disconnect the muffler from the exhaust pipe. If it has been installed on the car for a long time, then most likely you will have to fight a little more with rust.
8) Using a cutting tool, it is necessary to “disconnect” the exhaust pipe from the muffler.
9) We completely remove and remove the old muffler, which is now unlikely to be useful to you.
Features of installing a new muffler
Installing a new part is done in much the same way as dismantling the old one, only in the reverse order. However, this process still has a number of features that must be taken into account and carried out:
1) Before installing a new muffler, it is imperative to align the ends of the exhaust pipe that were attached to the old device.
2) An incision must be made on the rear section of the exhaust pipe, thanks to which the diameter of the pipe can be expanded slightly and it will be very easy to insert the end of the muffler into it.
3) We install a new muffler on the same suspensions on which the old one was installed.
4) Using sealant, we lubricate both the exhaust pipe and the pipe that exits the rear of the muffler.
5) We install two clamps on the ends of both pipes (in the same places where the old clamps stood). Do not rush while tightening them.
6) We insert the muffler into the ends of the exhaust pipe, which are finally prepared for this.
7) Drag the silencers to the place where the silencer and exhaust pipe are connected. Use a wrench and ratchet to tighten them all the way.
8) Tighten the nuts that are located on the clamp itself.
9) After that, you can remove the goats from under the car and lower it on a flat surface. We do the same with shoes. To make sure the installation of a new muffler and the quality of its work, you should take a little ride on your car. While driving, try to “a little”, while listening to the sound that the muffler makes. We hope that you will not be able to hear it.
Small nuances to pay attention to when replacing a car muffler
1. After dismantling the muffler, you should carefully inspect the entire exhaust system of the car. You need to make sure that only the silencer is out of order, and there are no more flaws on the system. If there is a large amount of rust on the exhaust pipe, it should also be replaced, otherwise it can lead to the "leakage" of exhaust gases.
2. If during dismantling you cut off a too large piece of the exhaust pipe, it will have to be “built up”. The easiest way to do this is with the help of a short section called “mom-dad”.
3. In the immediate vicinity of the exhaust pipe, electrical wires can pass. Therefore, when cutting the pipe, be very careful not to accidentally damage them, and also not to touch the hoses that supply gasoline and brake fluid.
4. In order not to “clog” your eyes, wear special safety glasses.
Subscribe to our feeds on social networks such as Facebook, Vkontakte, Instagram, Twitter and Telegram: all the most interesting automotive events gathered in one place.
Council for replacing the muffler on the vaz 2110
- Tip 1: welding can only be used to neutralize mechanical damage to the exhaust system, if the cause of the breakdown is burnout of the seams, walls or wear and tear of the pipe itself due to vibration, then these parts must be completely replaced.
- Tip 2: Before starting any work with the exhaust system, stock metal compensators suitable for the VAZ 2110 - they will have to be replaced in any case.
- Tip 3: In the event of a failure of the converter, many motorists have a desire to replace it with a simpler and cheaper flame arrester (otherwise it is called a stronger). But it’s worth doing well after weighing everything. The fact is that the installation of a flame arrester leads to an increase in fuel consumption by at least 15%. In addition to the car should be only one lambda sensor.