Autism or autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is also sometimes referred to as Asperger Syndrome. This disorder can manifest itself in different ways. It is difficult for some autists to build romantic relationships, while others generally try to refrain from them. If you are in a relationship with a person with this disorder, then some of his actions can be confusing. Try to improve communication with the guy. To do this, it is necessary to anticipate social difficulties, take pathologically cyclical actions, keep calm at times of frustration and understand when a guy wants to talk.
What causes autism?
Scientists have not yet come to a consensus on this. Some believe that the onset of autism is due to a gene mutation, while others - a malfunction in the development of the embryo from the 20th to the 40th day of pregnancy. Such a failure, according to scientists, is due to bad habits pregnant women.
How does autism develop?
Such a disease makes itself felt in the first three years of the child's development. Children do not talk for a long time, do not pay attention to others, do not look into the eyes. They may have difficulties with the development of motor skills - waddling gait, manner of holding hands in an unusual way, coordination of movements may be impaired. They do not notice the emotions of others, it is difficult for them express your emotions.
If you notice the disease in time and begin treatment, it will be easier for such people to interact with the outside world in adulthood.
Studies by British scientists have shown that autism in one way or another occurs in every 100th adult.
Classification of Adult Autism
Adult Autism: Life Difficulties
The first group includes practical terminally ill. They do not interact with the outside world, live in their own world, access to which is closed to everyone. They do not know how to speak. The level of their intellectual development is low. They do not know how to service themselves, they constantly need outside help and attention. They can never be left alone.
The second group includes closed patients. They can talk (but there are problems with speech) and can communicate with others on strictly defined topics. The content of their conversation may seem absurd and illogical to ordinary people, "as if from a fantasy world," etc.
Such people can sit for hours at their favorite place, forgetting about food, sleep and natural necessities. They do not like innovations, actively, sometimes aggressively, protest against any changes (for example, parents change the wallpaper). Their movements are monotonous and monotonous.
The third group includes bsolo, with certain skills and abilities. They do not accept the views of society. They can contact with others, but do not pay attention to anyone.
The fourth group includes people who are difficult to distinguish from the ordinary mass. They are smart, but not independent, they can’t make decisions, they give in to problems, they are too touchy. Obedient, follow the rules. Only a psychiatrist can distinguish such autistic people from ordinary people.
The fifth group includes people whoseintelligence is above average and high. Scientists believe that autism with high intelligence leads to genius. Among them are many talented people. Such autistic people perfectly realize themselves in mathematics, physics, programming, and writing.
Forms of ailment
Each type is characterized by identical symptoms, but they also have some differences.
Specialists identify several of the most common autistic forms:
- Kanner's syndrome. Pronounced lesions of the cerebral cortex, leading to communication problems, are typical. Patients suffer from speech abnormalities, there is aggressiveness, poorly expressed intelligence. It is almost impossible to find an approach to such an autism. This is the most complex autistic form, for which the presence of almost all manifestations of the pathology is typical,
- Asperger Syndrome. It differs in similar symptoms, but manifests itself in a complex or mild form, often proceeds more gently. Symptoms of mild autism in adults do not prevent autism from becoming a full member of society if it can overcome fear and timidity. Such patients are able to perform the actions necessary for work and a full life. But sometimes they get hung up on work, they don’t have any hobbies, they try to spend all their time in isolation,
- Rhett's syndrome. The most dangerous form, transmitted by female inheritance. Medical treatment can easily stop behavioral symptoms, however, it is impossible to remove speech and external abnormalities with drugs. The disease develops for a long time, is rare. Signs of autism in adult women are usually associated with a lack of communication, incoherence and a tendency to symbolize. Such patients usually live only about 30 years,
- Atypical form. For this autism, the absence of one of the characteristic signs is typical, which complicates the diagnosis. There are speech and motor disorders, disorders of motor functions.
- Highly functional autism. This form of pathology is diagnosed when a patient has relatively high intelligence (over 70). Such an autistic form is manifested by dull or acute sensory perception, weakened by immunity. Highly functional autism in adults is accompanied by irritable bowels, periodic bouts of convulsive muscle contractions, and disturbances in pancreatic activity. Signs of highly functional autism in adults are characterized by behavioral stereotyping, a narrow spectrum of interests, sudden outbreaks of aggression and difficulties in socialization.
Only an expert can determine the exact diagnosis, since in order to detect autism of any form, full-time consultation of a specialist and sufficiently long-term follow-up of the patient is necessary.
Recommendations for Autistic Family Members
With such a pathology, the quality of life is quite possible to improve if loved ones actively participate in the processes of autistic adaptation to society. The main role in these processes is given to parents, who should study the features of the disease well. You can visit autism centers, there are special schools for children.
The relevant literature will also help, from which the patient's family learns all the subtleties of building relationships and living together with such a person.
Here are some more helpful suggestions:
- If an autistic person is prone to escape from home and cannot find the return path on his own, it is advisable to attach a tag with his phone and address to his clothes,
- If there is any long trip ahead, it is recommended to take one of the patient’s favorite things, which helps him calm down,
- Avoid long lines, because autistic people often panic
- Do not disturb the personal space of the patient, he should have his own room where he will arrange things and objects at his discretion, while households should not touch, move, rearrange, rearrange anything.
The family should accept that their loved one is special, so you need to learn to live with this in mind.
Is it possible to get a disability
Disability for an adult with autism, according to the current legislation, is required. For this:
- It is necessary to contact the place of registration in the clinic to confirm the diagnosis. You can contact a psychiatrist or a neurologist.
- After the examination, the doctor will issue a referral for medical examination, give recommendations on additional examinations and specialists who will need to be passed.
- When the examination is completed, all the results are transferred to the doctor (psychologist, psychiatrist) who issued the appropriate direction. He will be engaged in the preparation of documentation for the commission.
- It remains only to come to ITU with finalized documents.
Topic article:How to apply for autism disability
A lot of adult autists share feedback on their condition, trying to convey their difficulties to others. For example,
Alexandra from St. Petersburg writes: “Autism needs a special attitude. These people are not arrogant, they just can’t do much without proper instructions. We do not need to feel sorry, we need to help. "
Or here is another revelation of a young guy from Moscow: “I couldn’t enter any university, although I really wanted to get a programmer’s education, and also a music education. It is good that now there is a worldwide network where I communicate calmly and no one violates my space. By the way, it was here that I found people with a similar diagnosis. We support each other. ”
From these reviews, it becomes clear that the lives of adults with such disorders are difficult, it is not easy for them to find themselves in society, because society ignores all the problems of such patients. It's a shame that in the same Israel, this problem is dealt with at a higher level.
Autism can be corrected with the right approach. There is no special medicine that can save the patient from the characteristic manifestations of the pathology. But how to live an adult with autism.
Helping the sick is still possible. Using medications and the behavioral direction of therapy can significantly reduce the risks of mental disorders, panic attacks or aggressive ones.
With a complex form of the disease, relatives need to take care of care and care, and for life, to choose the most optimal program according to which the patient will live and study. If the pathology proceeds in a mild form, then the patient will need corrective exercises, where he will learn how to socialize, for example, will cease to be afraid of others, learn how to greet at a meeting and be interested in the feelings of others, and will also be able to express his emotions and feelings normally.
Such autistic individuals may well learn the communication skills of the work collective, which will enable them to work normally.
Autism and Celebrities
It is believed that many scientists in one way or another suffered from autism. For example, Albert Einstein was a lonely child, did not talk for a long time, arranged tantrums for any changes, up to seven years thoughtlessly repeated sentences made by others (by the way, echolalia - uncontrolled automatic repetition of words heard in someone else's speech - one of the symptoms of autism).
Isaac Newton was so absorbed in his hobby that he forgot about food and sleep. He was practically indifferent to his few friends, and sometimes even intolerant of them. He loved his science so much that if none of the students came to his classes, he lectured to an empty audience.
Other autistic characteristics
Adult Autism: Life Difficulties
- It is difficult for them to learn the non-verbal skills of social interaction. For example, ordinary children can understand and repeat gestures and facial expressions at a young age, while autists cannot learn non-verbal. They do not look into a person’s eyes or look at a person as an inanimate object. It is difficult for them to share joy, grief, and other feelings with their interlocutor, which makes them seem cold and insensitive to outsiders.
- They differ in limited sets of interests.
- Persistently follow specific, impractical rituals (for example, when traveling in a car, they are asked to drive through the same fountain, even if it is not along the way).
- Autists are distinguished by the stereotyped nature of their movements (they twist a finger, palm, clap a hand on a table, make strange, aimless body movements).
- They have a delay in cognitive development, self-service skills may be lacking.
Life difficulties of patients with autism
Autistic people with average intelligence and higher than average intelligence are characterized by such qualities as egocentrism (self-centeredness) with little or complete unwillingness to communicate with peers. So they can easily fall out of the team, become outcasts. They can choose for communication one or two people, of whom they have a high opinion
Due to underdeveloped speech skills, inability to perceive conflicts and adequately respond to mistreatment, autism patients often become victims of bully and offenders, both in adolescence and adulthood.
Autistic people are distinguished by social naivety, truthfulness, and they feel a sense of awkwardness at remarks. Therefore, many people brazenly “use” these people for their own good.
Since it is difficult to learn social norms for those suffering from Blair’s disease, they can inadvertently offend another, thereby further repelling the members of the collective.
Patients do not recognize the "sign language", do not know how to read "between the lines", therefore they poorly understand those around them or understand literally, for example, hearing the phrase "Call at any time", they can call at 3 a.m. For the same reason, humor is not understood or difficult to understand.
Autists do not feel bodily boundaries, can hang over the interlocutor, causing him irritation.
In their hobbies, patients with autism can be very talented and possess valuable knowledge. Because of the inability to communicate, to present oneself correctly, because of the inability to present valuable information, they turn out to be unrecognized, "digging their talent into the ground."
Many autistic individuals with good intelligence seek romance, but stumble upon a lack of social knowledge. They can see what everyone around is talking about love but they don’t understand that they themselves should feel what this feeling looks like? They have nothing to compare it with, since most lack affection for other people.
They do not understand the gestures that accompany romance. Kisses do not interest them, as they do not see any benefit in this. Hugs they perceive as an incomprehensible attempt to limit movement. They may experience sexual feelings, but since autistic people have few friends, they have no one to discuss their desires with, there is nowhere to get information from.
Therefore, often in a courtship situation, they take their knowledge from the movies. Autistic men love to act like pompous macho or theatrical smoothies, and after watching porn movies, they can act like rapists. Autistic girls take their knowledge from soap operas, not imagining that such behavior does not correspond to modern life. In connection with what they become victims of violence.
How to help adult autism?
If autistic is severe, close people should provide care and medical care for the sick throughout life. You also need to choose a program according to which the patient will be engaged.
Autism with a milder degree of disease they need corrective exercises in which they can use their intellect to learn social norms - for example, say hello when meeting, nod your head in agreement, learn how to express your feelings, ask your interlocutor about his feelings, and not be frightened by strangers. And since many autists can work, they are taught communication skills in the work team.
The treatment uses behavioral psychotherapy, homeopathy and diets.