Most often, pain and heaviness in the legs occurs in connection with banal fatigue. In the event that symptoms occur, from time to time, especially towards the end of the day, then do not worry about any disease. After a good rest, the discomfort will pass.
In the event that the discomfort does not go away for more than three days, then it is necessary to begin treatment with folk remedies. If you know that the pain is due to a disease, then you need to think about visiting a highly qualified doctor.
Pain and heaviness in the legs can occur afterwards of various injuries of muscle stretch marks, dislocations, muscle breaks, fractures or sprains. Also, there are cases when pain develops gradually, subsequently regularly wearing uncomfortable shoes, excessive physical exertion, running on a hard surface and performing exercises without warming up the muscles. Leg pain often occurs due to obesity.
Important advice from the publisher
If you want to improve the condition of your hair, special attention should be paid to the shampoos that you use. A frightening figure - in 96% of shampoos of popular brands are components that poison our body. The main substances that cause all the troubles on the labels are indicated as sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, coco sulfate, PEG. These chemical components destroy the structure of curls, hair becomes brittle, lose elasticity and strength, the color fades. But the worst thing is that this muck gets into the liver, heart, lungs, accumulates in the organs and can cause cancer. We advise you to abandon the use of funds in which this chemistry is located. Recently, our editorial experts conducted an analysis of sulfate-free shampoos, where the first place was taken by funds from the company Mulsan Cosmetic. The only manufacturer of all-natural cosmetics. All products are manufactured under strict quality control and certification systems. We recommend visiting the official online store mulsan.ru If you doubt the naturalness of your cosmetics, check the expiration date, it should not exceed one year of storage.
Heaviness and pain in the legs from fatigue
In the event that pain occurs almost every day in the evenings, it can be confidently stated that fatigue is the cause. In this state, energy reserves in the body are depleted, and at this moment, poisonous metabolic products begin to accumulate in all muscles. In addition, increased nervous system excitement.
Fatigue itself does not harm the body. In that case, if you give the muscles a full rest, then pain and heaviness will not leave a trace. But the main problem is that not everyone can fully rest.
Tense muscles can fully rest only if they are completely relaxed. It is very useful for the legs to lie down every evening, straighten the legs and put a small soft roller under the calves, also do not forget about the regular massage of the feet and calves.
Heaviness and pain in the legs may occur subsequently in certain diseases.
In the event that leg pain does not go away for a long time, even after regular treatment with folk remedies, it is advisable to consult a doctor, since leg pain can indicate the presence of a serious illness.
- Chronic arterial disease.
The most common of them are endarteritis and atherosclerosis. In this group of diseases, in addition to pain and severity, cooling of the feet is observed, and the pain is significantly worse when walking.
- Joint disease.
In the event that pain is observed in the knee and ankle joints, as well as on the first toe, this may indicate arthritis, gout, or arthrosis.
- Chronic vein disease.
One of the most common causes of severity and leg pain is varicose veins.
- No less common causes are heel spur and flat feet.
If you have pain in the lateral surface of the legs, then osteochondrosis is most likely a vein.
- Obesity, ulcerative colitis and myalgia are slightly less common.
How to treat leg heaviness
All, even very young people, are constantly on their feet throughout the day. In this regard, closer to evening, the legs get tired, and swelling appears, and in this regard, heaviness also appears.
The severity in the legs, most often, is caused precisely by edema, which appears due to the difficulty of the outflow of blood. The reasons for this may be a huge amount. For example, metabolic disorders, problems associated with the work of the heart or liver, or impaired renal function. Subsequently, swelling on the legs can cause varicose veins.
The following recipes will help to quickly tidy up the “heavy” legs:
- In order to accelerate the outflow of blood, it is necessary for fifteen minutes to put your feet on any elevation in the supine position.
- Also, quickly removing the heaviness in the legs will help wiping with a piece of ice, with a small addition of mint extracts.
- Contrast baths: in turn, lower your feet in hot water, at a temperature of 40 degrees, for five minutes, then in cold, at a temperature below eighteen, for ten seconds.
- To relieve heaviness in the legs will help remove the bath from the infusion of nettle, coltsfoot and plantain. To prepare it, you need to mix all the grass and four tablespoons of this mixture, pour three liters of boiling water, let it brew and strain.
- Regularly wash your feet with linden water or make baths from a strong infusion of elderberry and mint, which are taken in equal proportions.
- A compress will help to quickly remove swelling and get rid of heaviness in the legs. To prepare it, you need to wrap several pieces of ice in a thin cloth, and fit it to the feet, ankles and calves.
- In order to soften the skin in places of edema, which cause heaviness in the legs, the next bath will help. Add two teaspoons of baking soda, a mint infusion, an infusion of birch leaves and an infusion of chamomile in hot water. Hold your feet for fifteen minutes in the bath, rub your feet with a pumice stone and grease with cream.
- In order to get rid of heaviness in the legs massage will help. To do this, thoroughly massage your feet with a hard terry towel, but the massage should last no more than five minutes. Those who suffer from dilated veins should not be given a massage.
- Foot baths with sea salt. In addition to salt, you can add a little cedar or fir essential oil to the water. After taking a bath, you need to lie on the sofa and put a roller under your feet.
- In order to relieve heaviness in the legs and sensations of heat, a better remedy than essential oil can not be. At home, you can prepare a balm for the feet. To prepare this balm, you need a dark glass bottle with a capacity of fifty milliliters and thirty milliliters of the base base - a special medical gel that can be bought at any pharmacy, it can be replaced with vegetable oil. In one tablespoon of gel or basic mala, you need to add nine drops of the following essential oils: myrtle, lavender, rosewood, cypress, eucalyptus, lemon, tea tree and mint. Mix the whole mixture thoroughly with a stick, while gently combining the essential oils with the base. Shake the resulting mixture and add the remaining gel or oil to the container. The container is tightly closed and put in a dark place to insist for three days. It should be noted that it is necessary to apply this balm in the morning and evening on wet skin, in small portions, without pressing on the area of blood vessels and veins. After three weeks of regular use of this balm, you need to take a week break and continue the course of treatment with the following balm.
- Mint balm for heaviness, heat and leg pain. This balm can be used anywhere, even at work or in a cafe. To prepare it, you need a dark glass bottle with a capacity of twenty milliliters and ten milliliters of the base base. Mix three drops of lavender, tea tree and peppermint essential oil with one teaspoon of cambric gel. Mix everything thoroughly. The gel should cloud a little. Add the remaining gel to the container and mix thoroughly again, gently and slowly. Close the bottle with balm tightly and put in a dark place to insist for three days. Use this balm is necessary in small portions as needed. It must be applied starting from the foot moving closer to the hip. As the base oils for the preparation of this balm, it is better to opt for grape seed oil, pumpkin or St. John's wort. It is worth remembering that essential oils must be of pharmacopoeial quality.
How to get rid of leg pain
- Very quickly and effectively relieve pain in the legs will help the baths based on pine needles. In order to cook it, you need to pour one hundred grams of pine needles with one liter of cold water, bring to a boil. Remove from heat and place in a water bath for half an hour. After time, cover the container with a lid and set to insist until it cools completely. The finished infusion must be filtered and poured into cool bath water. Keep your feet in this broth for fifteen minutes.
- Peppermint infusion. Thanks to this infusion, metabolism will significantly improve and pain and swelling will decrease. To prepare it, you need to mix two teaspoons of linden flowers, two teaspoons of pharmacy chamomile flowers, three teaspoons of black elderberry flowers and three teaspoons of mint leaves. Pour the mixture of herbs one third liter of boiling water and let it brew for forty minutes. Also, in order to fully cure the legs, it is necessary to heal from the inside. This infusion must be filtered, three times a day.
- Flask of corn stigmas. Take four tablespoons of corn stigmas, preferably collected from August to September, pour five glasses of boiling water and let it brew for half an hour. Strain and drink thoroughly every two hours, one glass, half an hour before meals.
- Honey compresses. In order to quickly get rid of annoying pain in the legs, you must regularly make a honey compress. In order to do it, you need to smear your legs with any kind of honey and bandage it tightly with something from above. This compress must be worn for one day, then remove the honey bandage and apply a new one. After just a week of regular compresses, chronic pain will begin to pass. Also, this compress can cure vertebral and osteochondrosis pains.
- Prepare a decoction of clover, strain thoroughly. Add one tablespoon of kerosene to the resulting broth. Using this mixture, make foot baths for one week.
- Also, alcohol tincture with the addition of leaves, flowers and branches of yellow acacia is very effective. This tincture must be taken four times a day for fifteen drops.
- In order to get rid of pain in the legs, you should regularly rub them with the next tincture. In order to prepare it, you need to fill in one large sheet of large-root arma with half a liter of vodka and let it brew for a day.
- Finely chop with a knife fifty grams of agave, fifty grams of horseradish, fifty grams of garlic, fifty grams of chilli pepper and fifty grams of bone marrow from the calf shin. Mix everything and put in a glass dish. Grind with two hundred milliliters of vodka. Let it brew for one hour. At the end of time add to the infusion two hundred grams of camphor oil, two tablespoons of iodine, fifty grams of badger fat, fifty grams of turpentine and three hundred milliliters of vodka. Put the container in a warm place for five days. After, strain through shallow gauze. Rub this infusion twice a day before bedtime. The course of treatment is one month.
Prevention of severity and leg pain
- It is necessary to wear loose and comfortable shoes on a low platform. This will help to avoid heaviness in the legs.
- During daily snacks at the workplace, if possible, it is advisable to take off your shoes and put your feet on a nearby chair.
- In the event that the severity and pain in the legs is only beginning to appear, then it is necessary to wear pantyhose, knee-high socks or compression stockings.
- If possible, increase the intake of vitamin C, it will strengthen the walls of blood vessels.
- In the event that severe pain in the legs is felt, then you can take aspirin, it will slightly reduce the negative sensations.
Shin pain - general information
The funny thing is the pain in the lower leg. Most people know when they have it, but it seems that a very small number of people, including specialists, know what it is. Most doctors prefer the term “tendonate” or “periostitis,” although they cannot say which of these terms actually describes this condition.
“A lot of things can be meant by shin pain,” says Marjorie Albom, a certified trainer and assistant director of the International Institute of Sports and Medicine at Indiana University School of Medicine. “Many people think that it represents the initial stage of tension fractures, others that it is muscle irritation, others say that it is an irritation of the tendons that attach the muscles to the bone. Thus, the problem of treating pain is associated with the problem of determining exactly what it really is. "
This may explain why so many active people of both sexes and all ages suffer from shin pain. Pain in the lower leg often occurs in those involved in aerobics (about 22% of students and 29% of instructors), and in long-distance runners (about 28%).
It is well known that inelastic surfaces with a non-spring coating can cause pain in the lower leg in an instant, and this applies to both people who walk on a concrete road and those who practice it. Other causes of pain in the lower leg include poor posture, uncomfortable shoes, flat feet, insufficient warming up, improper running and walking techniques, overtraining, and so on. Acquiring pain in the lower leg is not difficult.
Symptoms are vague and often mistaken for signs of stress fractures. But in typical cases, pain in the lower leg means pain in the lower leg of one or both legs, although there may not be an area of special pain sensitivity. Pain, including aching, will be felt on the front surface of the leg after physical activity, and it can also appear and increase during activity.
The remedies described here are designed to help keep the pain in the lower leg from progressing up to fractures from tension and allow you to continue an active lifestyle, without causing you excessive harm. Remedies that encourage you to stretch or train your calf muscles can be helpful in preventing recurrence. As always, let your guide be pain. If any of the ones recommended here increase your discomfort, do not do it!
Start from the ground
“Start by exploring the surface,” Albom advises. “If you walk, run, dance, play basketball or anything else on a solid inelastic surface, then you need to change it.”
Those who do aerobics have the highest level of damage on concrete floors covered with carpets, while activities on a wooden floor do the least damage.If you have to practice on an inelastic floor, make sure that the instructor teaches only low-impact aerobics or that the room is equipped with high-quality foam mats. Runners are better off picking grass or soil than asphalt, and asphalt is better than concrete. Concrete is not at all elastic and should be avoided in all cases.
Then go to the shoes
If you cannot change the surface, or if you find that the problem is not in it, then, according to experts, you need to “look for other shoes”. “Pay attention to the support of the arch of the foot,” says Dr. Albom, “to the shock absorbing quality of the sole and the free arch. The shoe should have an instep support, and it should be carefully fitted. ”
Engaged in exercises that give a large load on the forefoot, shoes should be evaluated for its ability to absorb shock in this area. The best way to check is to put on shoes in the store and jump on toes and then on flat feet. Impact resistance from the floor should be solid, but not sharp.
For runners, the choice is a little harder. For example, studies have shown that approximately 58% of all runners with lower leg pain penetrate excessively (meaning that the leg rotates inward). When choosing shoes in order to prevent pronation, sometimes you have to take less shock-absorbing shoes, especially if you have pain in your lower leg.
Change shoes more often
One way to be sure that your shoes retain the most shock-absorbing properties is to change them often. Harry M. Gordon, an orthopedic surgeon, director of the running program at the University of Pennsylvania Sports Medical Center in Philadelphia, gives advice on avoiding shin pain: runners running 40 km or more a week need new shoes every 60-90 days , at shorter distances, shoes must be changed every 4-6 months.
Those who do aerobics, tennis or basketball twice a week need new shoes 2 or 3 times a year, while those who do up to 4 times a week need every 60 days.
Follow some simple rules.
As soon as you have pain in your lower leg, follow the rule: rest, ice, compressive dressing and elevated position of the leg for 20-30 minutes. “Don't underestimate the effect of ice,” says Albom. “The procedure with ice is simple: put your foot on a raised platform, put a bandage, and on top - a bubble with ice for 20-30 minutes.”
A variant of the above treatment is a contrast bath, which is especially effective for pain on the inner surface of the leg. Use this method alternatively: 1 minute with ice, 1 minute with heat. Do this before any type of activity that can cause pain in your lower leg, and continue for at least 12 minutes.
Train your calf muscles
“We find that stretching Achilles tendons and calf muscles is a great preventative measure against lower leg pain,” says Albom. “If you are a woman and wear high-heeled shoes 5 cm high every day, you do not stretch either one or the other.”
Stretching helps because with shorter muscles more weight and tension are transferred to the bones of the lower leg. Put your hands on the wall, place one foot behind the other and slowly push the heel of the foot, which is back, into the floor. Do this 20 times and repeat with the other leg.
Take care of tendons
Dr. Gordon offers this simple technique for stretching the Achilles tendon: stand on the floor, feet 15 cm apart. Then bend your arms at the elbows and legs at the knees forward, while keeping your back straight. Reach the point of tension and maintain this position for 30 seconds. “You should feel a real stretch in the lower calf muscles,” he says. Repeat exercise 10 times.
Get a massage
“For pain in the anterior surface of the lower leg, you would like to massage the area near the edge of the lower leg, but not the lower leg itself,” says Rich Feig, co-director of the American Institute of Sports Massage in New York, author of Athletic Massage. Massage directly on the bone will aggravate inflammation.
To reduce pain with massage, sit on the floor, bend one knee and place your foot flat on the floor. Start by lightly stroking both sides of the bone with your palms, moving them back and forth from the knee to the ankle. Repeat these stroking movements several times. Then grasp the calf muscle with your hands and with your fingertips deeply massage the entire area, pressing as hard as possible.
“You will undoubtedly want to restore the length and ease the tension of the tendons in the upper and lower legs,” says Feig, noting that a good massage also helps improve blood circulation in this part of the body.
Correct foot defects
“The cause of pain in the lower leg can sometimes be flat feet or a very high arch of the foot,” says Dr. Gordon. “If you have flat feet, then the muscle on the inside of the calf works more and gets tired faster, causing the bone to take on more weight.”
If you have flat feet, you may need shoes with extra shock-absorbing material or with a foot support device. Inserts can be bought at sporting goods stores, but it’s best to go to an orthopedist before using these inserts at your own discretion.
“The pain in the outer lower leg is sometimes associated with very high arches of the feet,” says Dr. Gordon. “Therefore, numerous exercises are required to stretch and strengthen muscles, and possibly orthopedic appliances.”
Develop muscle, reduce pain
Pain in the lower leg can sometimes be prevented by strengthening the muscles surrounding the lower leg. These muscles help slow down the speed of the foot and dampen tremors while walking or running. The following helps to strengthen them:
- try cycling with your feet on the pedals. Each time you press the pedals, focus on stretching the muscles of the front surface of the leg. Riding a bicycle also gives good physical activity in the fresh air, without aggravating pain in the lower leg,
- for those who don’t have the opportunity to use a bicycle, walking on their heels will give about the same effect, forcing the muscles to contract and stretch around the lower leg every time you take a step,
- If you are interested in an exercise that requires a lot of effort, try this: Sit on the edge of a table that is tall enough so that your legs do not reach the floor. Throw a sock full of grains through the foot, or you can make a load weighing 2 kg from an old can of paint, filling it with gravel. Hang this load over your foot in shoes so that the wire does no harm. Bend your leg at the knee up. Repeat as many times as you can, straining your shin muscles every time you lift your leg up.
Shin pain or crack?
Due to the fact that many experts consider shin pain to be an early stage of stress fracture, it is sometimes difficult to talk about the difference between the two. Quite right, from a long neglect, pain in the lower leg can be a turning point from stress. How do you know if you have crossed this line? We asked trainer Marjorie Alb about this.
“In a fracture from stress, you will have exactly localized pain,” she says. “If someone asks you where it hurts, you will be able to pinpoint exactly by placing one or two fingers on that spot.” This will be the bone fracture site, and this point is specific. A crack in the lower leg will be manifested by pain discomfort up and down along the entire length of the bone. ”
Why does pain occur
1. The most frequentcause- excessive shock
For example, while running. “If the training does not correspond to the level of training, a persistent pain syndrome appears in the lower part of the lower leg,” says Yuri Glazkov, an orthopedic traumatologist, candidate of medical sciences, full member of ESSKA, AAOS, ASTAOR, ATOR.
2. Incorrectly prepared training plan
Pain will occur if the load has been increased too sharply. For example, you suddenly ran 2-3 times more than usual.
3. Running on rough terrain or rough terrain
This is harder than running on asphalt or a treadmill. So that you do not fall, the body actively connects muscle stabilizers: they provide the correct foot position. If these muscles are not prepared for a greater load, they can overexert and become inflamed.
4. Incorrect or worn shoes
For example, if the sneakers are without depreciation, then the entire shock load falls on the muscles, joints and tendons.
5. Wrong running technique
“If the foot falls inward (pronation) or you take too much step, the load on the lower leg increases,” explains sports doctor Jordan Metzl.
How to get rid of pain if it has already appeared
Perfect option - take a break in training. Complete peace is the main condition for recovery.
Reduce the pain. “Use non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, apply ice (several times a day, for 20 minutes) or bandage your leg to reduce swelling,” says Yuri Glazkov.
Change the type of load. If the pain arose from running, then within 1-2 weeks try another physical activity, from which the legs do not hurt. For example, swimming or stretching. When all goes well and you are ready to return to running, start gradually, rest between workouts for 1-2 days.
See your sports doctor. If the pain is too strong and does not go away for a long time, consult a traumatologist. You may have to undergo physiotherapy.