This article is co-written by Zora Degrandpre, ND. Dr. Degrandpre is a licensed naturopath from Washington. She graduated from the National College of Naturopathy in 2007.
The number of sources used in this article is 37. You will find a list of them at the bottom of the page.
With sore throats, it is difficult for a person to swallow and even speak. A sore throat may result from dehydration, allergies, or muscle tension. The most common cause of a sore throat is a viral and bacterial infection, such as flu or pharyngitis. As a rule, a sore throat goes away within a few days, but you can take some measures to speed up the healing process.
Gargling Sore Throat
Sperm, cough, runny nose cleanse the body of accumulated mucus. If a sore throat occurs, it is important to start responding as soon as possible.
How to quickly cure a throat by rinsing?
- Rinse with a weak solution of potassium permanganate several times a day.
- In half a glass of fresh carrot juice add 1s.l. honey, mix until dissolved. Bring the volume to a full glass with warm boiled water.
Rinse 6-7 times a day for adults and children, including with angina.
- Boil a small onion in a glass of milk.
Rinse warm several times a day. When coughing, take orally 1sl every 2 hours.
- Grind 3.s. onion peel. Boil boiling water in a glass, insist 4 hours, strain.
Rinse to relieve sore throat.
Recipe 5 (folk remedy):
- Stir in 2 parts of the flowers of St. John's wort, chamomile, calendula, one part of flax seeds, chop. Brew 1 tsp. mix 300 ml of boiling water in a glass bowl, insist for half an hour, strain.
Rinse warm 4-5 times a day.
Recipe 6 (to get rid of a sore throat with a cold):
- rinse with a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide 3-4 times a day for a week.
For the prevention of acute respiratory infections in the autumn-winter period, take 3-4 drops of the solution inside twice a day.
- Dissolve 1 tsp. soda and 1 tsp table salt in a glass of warm water, add 3-4 drops of an iodine alcohol solution.
Gargle 4-5 times a day to quickly cure your throat after the onset of the first symptoms.
The optimum temperature of the solutions is +40 .. + 50C, the interval - after an hour. More frequent procedures slow down treatment.
Rinse after eating.
Why does the throat hurt?
It should be understood that a sore throat can occur in response to cell damage, resulting in a hotbed of active inflammatory process. Below are just some of the reasons that can provoke this kind of pain.
- Parathonsilar abscess,
- Acute tracheitis
This list is far from complete, but the reasons that you have a sore throat can be non-infectious in nature, for example, such as:
- Mechanical injury to the throat caused by both excessive stress on the muscles of the throat and external injuries, fish bone, for example,
- Mucosal burn,
- Reaction to allergens,
- Gastrointestinal diseases, such as an ulcer,
- Neurosis and neuralgia.
It is categorically impossible to treat negligently that you have a sore throat. I especially want to pay attention to the danger of self-medication, although, of course, a sore throat is far from always a signal of a terrible disease. Obviously, the throat can also hurt after its usual hypothermia, when, for example, you ate ice cream on a hot day. In such cases, the throat can be cured quite successfully at home, using simple procedures, including traditional medicine.
The combination of different methods can bring a positive result in a short period of time. But in the event that for several days at home he did not manage to heal the throat, it is strongly recommended to consult a specialist. Simply put, if after 2-3 days of self-treatment, the throat does not stop sore, then you should immediately go to the nearest clinic to avoid serious consequences.
How to quickly cure a throat at home?
After you notice that you have a sore throat, remember what could have caused the pain. Obviously, if the day before you, for example, got a mucous burn during inhalation of hot steam in the sauna, then you will not help lubricating the throat, for example, with lugol. Having decided on the reason why your throat can hurt, you can proceed to emergency measures that are quite capable of helping the throat recover quickly. Rinsing, inhalation and compresses, as well as the use of tablets, sprays, lozenges, homeopathic medicines and other methods, both traditional and traditional medicine, can be considered as priority ones. Let's try to highlight some of them.
Other methods for dealing with sore throat
The maximum effect in the treatment of the throat is much easier to achieve if several methods of combating the disease are combined at once. So, inhalation can be a good addition to gargling. But in this case, you need to be especially careful and know that there are a lot of contraindications to this procedure, including high fever, asthma, pregnancy and others. Before starting inhalation, it is better to consult a doctor. Among the most popular are the inhalation of boiled potato vapors, as well as inhalation using medicinal herbs and essential oils. Your sore throat after such procedures will most likely not stop, but this will certainly help get rid of nasal congestion and hoarseness.
As with inhalations, caution should be exercised with compresses. They also have a number of contraindications, in addition, they can cause allergies. Traditional medicine offers the following compresses: on a leaf of cabbage, previously steamed in hot water, natural bee honey is spread with a thin layer and applied to the sore throat for a quarter of an hour. Many recommend vodka compresses when vodka is mixed with warm water in equal proportions and this mixture is impregnated with cotton wool, which is applied to the throat and wrapped in a warm scarf.
If you have a sore throat, do not forget about proper nutrition. From the diet, you need to exclude spicy, salty, sour dishes and foods that are too solid. The menu should include more liquid dishes, such as soups, broths and milk porridges. It’s good if your food contains many different vitamins and less fat. Try to include in your diet more onions and garlic, which have good anti-inflammatory properties. Well, is it worth saying that during treatment it is necessary to completely abandon the use of alcohol and, especially, from smoking.
The main causes of sore throat?
Respiratory infections are the most common cause of sore throat. In most cases, it is caused by a complex of factors:
- bacterial infection
- fungal infection
- decreased immunity caused by various reasons.
Viruses, penetrating the cells of the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract, totally reduce the possibility of a protective response of the body. Secretory cells decrease their activity, dry throat appears, perspiration, there is redness. Bacteria and fungi, which can be obtained both from the outside (highly pathogenic forms) and constantly living in the mouth and throat, but which usually maintain a conditionally pathogenic status, use a decrease in the local defense reaction. The most common bacterial pathogen is the numerous types of streptococcus. Among mushrooms is a species of candida. The development of bacterial and fungal infections can occur without viral "help". The following factors lead to a decrease in local immunity of the pharynx:
- inhalation of cold air
- general hypothermia,
- the presence of diseases that suppress the immune system (HIV, herpes simplex virus, chronic diseases),
- passing immunosuppressive therapy.
Unpleasant sensations in the throat may have a non-infectious respiratory cause.
For example, a sore throat may be a consequence of existing problems with the digestive system and manifest as a sign of despepsia. In this case, cough and other signs of a throat disease (redness, tonsil enlargement) are absent. Painful sensations, often burning, itching, are subjectively perceived localized at the level of the pharynx, larynx, trachea, or even lower. A person may complain of spasmodic attacks, the need for more private swallowing, which makes the symptoms similar to those observed with pharyngitis.
In addition, unpleasant sensations in the throat can occur against the background of thyroid dysfunction, due to allergies, in the presence of tumors of the tongue, pharynx, vocal cords, after excessive tension of the vocal cords.
In these cases, sore throat is a symptom of a serious disease, the treatment of which must be approached comprehensively, referring to specialist doctors: a gastroenterologist, endocrinologist, allergist, otorhinolaryngologist, and oncologist.
Further, we will consider how to quickly cure the throat only for cases of pain that has an infectious-respiratory cause.
How to cure a throat in 1 day?
Healing a throat quickly at home is a real task if you started treatment at the first sign of a disease.
Consider the general principles of throat treatment.
As noted above, the microbial pathogen may be viral, bacterial or fungal. But at home, we do not have the ability to accurately determine the pathogen. Based on this, an integrated approach is recommended, including multidirectional drugs and forms.
If a sore throat, then immunostimulants will help to cure it quickly. Drugs that stimulate the immune system are widely represented in pharmacies. They are divided into:
- interferon-containing (Grippferon, Viferon),
- interferon inducers (Anaferon, Galavit, Derinat, Ingavirin, Kagocel, Cycloferon, Ergoferon),
- containing lysates of bacteria (IRS-19, Imudon).
These drugs are available in various forms: sprays, lozenges, and oral tablets. Among the listed immunostimulants, the second group is the most effective - interferon inducers.
Good reviews are received by Galavit and Derinat, which increase the immune response to antigens of viruses, bacteria and fungi at the same time.
Immunostimulants are often taken. Some hourly, others every 3-4 hours. Read the instructions before use.
Topical antiseptic preparations
The second direction of the quick treatment of the throat is the use of antiseptics in the form of sprays, rinses, and lozenges. Consumers have the opportunity to choose medicines from several dozen presented in pharmacies. To quickly cure an adult's throat:
Antiseptic agents are sprayed 2 to 5 times a day.
How to quickly cure severe sore throat?
If there is severe pain in the throat, then the inflammatory process takes place not the first day, and in one day it will not be cured. The treatment technique is similar to that described above.
If the throat is very sore, then antiseptics with anesthetic effect will help to recover quickly. Almost all antiseptic sprays provide this or that degree of anesthesia due to components that act irritatingly on the mucous membrane (camphor, levomenthol, iodine, etc.). However, for these purposes, sprays and tablets containing lidocaine, benzocaine, tetracaine are more effective:
How to quickly cure a sore throat?
If perspiration in the throat, then this is the first sign of the onset of an infectious process in the throat. When it appears, follow the algorithm:
- Immediately start taking an immunostimulating drug.
- If perspiration persists during the day, start spraying an antiseptic spray into the throat or dissolving tablets with a similar effect.
Fast treatment of the throat with folk methods
For a more effective and quick treatment for throat at home, you should:
1. Wear warm socks on your feet
It was experimentally proved that warming the legs positively affects the course of respiratory infections.
2. Drink hot tea more often
Bacteria and viruses multiply most actively at a temperature of 37-38 degrees C. Locally increasing the temperature of the mucous membrane of the throat, you slow down the process of division of bacteria, at the same time stimulate the flow of blood, which leads to increased metabolic and regenerative processes, and also improves the protective reaction.
3. To carry out inhalation over warm steam of herbal decoctions.
The procedure has the same meaning as a hot drink: warming the mucosa leads to the activation of metabolic processes in it, as well as to a slowdown in microbial division. It is useful to breathe even over warm saline or potato broth.
What herbs can be used for inhalation:
4. Eat more “hot” foods.
Horseradish, onion, garlic, ginger, radish - these products contain bacteriostatic phytocomponents.
How to quickly cure a child's throat?
Many drugs have a restriction on age of use. For the treatment of a child, it is necessary to select special medicines with the least side effects and contraindications, but in general, follow the treatment principles described above.
Among immunostimulating agents Anaferon for children can be called. This drug belongs to interferon inducers and is available in the form of lozenges. It can be used even in children who, due to their age, do not know how to dissolve tablets. In this case, the tablet is dissolved in a tablespoon of water and given a drink whatever meal. Children's Anaferon is indicated for use in children starting from 1 month.
Parents should not be afraid to give their children immunostimulating agents. These drugs will not cause harm, but will increase the body's resistance, will allow to cure the child's throat faster.
If we talk about local antiseptics (sprays, solutions, lozenges), then you should give preference to drugs with the least pronounced or complete lack of taste characteristics. Such funds include, for example, Miramistin spray, which is characterized by excellent antimicrobial and antifungal activity. For very young patients who do not know how to hold their breath, a spray is sprayed onto the inner surface of the cheeks.
In order to quickly cure the red throat in a child, an oily solution of Chlorophyllipt is suitable. It is well tolerated, does not cause irritation, has an unexpressed taste, plant composition. The latter is a powerful argument emphasizing the safety of the drug. Oil Chlorophyllipt is instilled into the child in the mouth 3-7 drops in undiluted form.
Using these drugs comprehensively, you can quickly cure the throat of a child and 2, and 3, and 5 years.
How to cure a throat during pregnancy?
Pregnancy imposes significant restrictions on possible treatment options. Grippferon in the form of a spray or drops is recommended as an immunomodulating agent. It can be used at any stage of pregnancy. Derinat drops, which improve the immune response to viral and bacterial infections, receive good reviews. However, the appropriateness of Derinat should be determined by the doctor.
As an antiseptic, one of the best during pregnancy is Lizobact resorption tablets.The active substances of the drug effectively fight viruses, bacteria and fungi, and also take part in improving the immune response.
Among the sprays, pregnant women are recommended to use Hexoral, Miramistin. Oil Chlorophyllipt will also be effective and safe for this category of patients.
How to quickly treat a throat with breastfeeding?
The drugs discussed in the previous section are allowed for use during breastfeeding:
With breastfeeding, there are practically no restrictions on the use of local antiseptic drugs (sprays). With the exception of iodine-containing (Yox, Lugol, Iodinol), which should be prescribed by a doctor.
To quickly cure the throat in 1 day, you need to be guided by the following rules:
- Begin treatment as soon as possible.
- Use immunostimulating agents.
- Fight an infection in the throat with antiseptic sprays, lozenges.
Alternative methods will prove to be an additional quick way to cure a throat at home.
How to cure a throat and cough with folk remedies
For the treatment of throat in 1-2 days, use the following folk recipes for rinsing:
- tincture of eucalyptus, which has an antibacterial effect, which confirms the study,
- weekly infusion of Kombucha,
- apple cider vinegar half diluted with warm water
- onion peel decoction (3 tsp. boil boiling water in a glass, insist 4 hours, strain),
- saturated infusion of the mixture in equal parts of celandine and chamomile,
- blackcurrant juice diluted with water,
- infusion of berries and leaves of viburnum,
- in a glass of fresh beet juice, add 1s.l. vinegar, insist 2 hours in an open bowl,
- in 500 ml of boiling water place a handful of sage leaves, insist, strain, add 1-2s. apple cider vinegar.
In case of chronic inflammation of the palatine tonsils, a folk remedy is used:
- Wash the fresh leaves of coltsfoot, chop, get the juice, add the same amount of onion juice and red wine (you can replace 1.s. brandy, which is diluted in 100 ml of boiled water).
Before taking, dilute 1.s. mixture in 3.s. water, take three times a day. Store in the refrigerator, mix before use.
- Brew 1.s. crushed roots 500ml boiling water, insist an hour, drain.
Rinse to cure sore throat.
Raisins and onion juice:
- Grind 200 g of raisins, brew a glass of boiling water, leave for 10 minutes, squeeze and strain. Add 2s.s. onion juice.
Take half a glass 3 times a day to cure cough and sore throat.
- Two pinches of turmeric, two pinches of salt add and dissolve in a glass of warm water.
Apply to rinse.
- With severe pain, to alleviate the condition, gargle with a strong rosehip infusion.
- Stir in equal parts the leaves of strawberries, sage, chamomile, calendula. Brew 2.sl. mix a glass of boiling water, insist, strain
Rinse several times a day. The effectiveness of sage in the treatment of throat is confirmed by the study.
Home Treatment for a Cold Throat
- Drink Borjomi warm mineral water without gas.
- Dip slices of rolls in hot milk, let cool slightly, eat.
Repeat the procedure 3-4 times a day. When treating with this method, the sore throat quickly disappears, because the hot pieces stay longer and warmer better than just drinking milk.
Method 3 (exercise from yoga to treat sore throat):
- Get on your knees, open your eyes wide, stick out your tongue so that a slight effort appears within seven seconds.
Repeat the exercise seven times, preferably in the evening.
Method 4. The larynx area is located at the base of the thumbs. Therefore, for sore throat, hoarseness, the following technique is used:
- stick on the phalanges of the thumbs strips of pepper patch.
The throat will recover in 1-2 days.
Method 5 (hot beer):
- Stir a glass of yarrow juice and 1 liter of hot beer (heat glass bottles in a container of hot water, carefully open above the sink).
Take a glass three times a day, wrap well.
- Beat a fresh egg, pour into a glass with warm water.
Treat throat with gargles 5-6 times a day.
- Peel the fresh ginger root from the skin, put a small piece in your mouth. When the burning stops, chew and swallow the slice.
Method 8 (treatment of throat in children):
- Scald lemon with boiling water, cut into slices, add honey or sprinkle with sugar.
Give the child a resorption. The effectiveness of the use of honey for the treatment of colds in children is confirmed by the study.
Method 9 (for adults):
- Chew half a lemon with peel.
- At the end, there is no hour for citric acid and essential oils to have a healing effect.
Eat the remaining half of the lemon after 1.5-2 hours. The fruit has an antimicrobial effect, which confirms the study.
Inhalation of the throat
- Grate a few cloves of garlic, grease a piece of bandage with gruel.
- Place in an empty teapot, close the lid.
Inhale through the nose through the nose, exhale through the nose for 10 minutes.
Perform up to 5-6 times a day for the treatment of tonsillitis, bronchitis, runny nose, cough. Instead of garlic, you can use onions.
Ginger root oil, it has an anti-inflammatory effect:
- Add 1-2 drops of ginger oil to a cup of hot water.
- Fold the towel with a cone and inhale the vapors through the mouth for 5-10 minutes.
Inhalation with eucalyptus oil, which has an antimicrobial effect, also helps.
Gold Star Balm:
- Lightly grease a piece of bandage with a composition, place in a teapot, inhale the vapors.
Sore throat compresses
To cure a sore sore throat, apply Apple vinegar.
Place a cloth moistened with apple cider vinegar at room temperature on the neck. As it warms up, replace the compress with a cool one.
Place a cloth moistened with apple cider vinegar on the lower part of the legs to draw blood there. Feet will soon become hot.
Place tissue moistened with apple cider vinegar on the stomach, periodically replace it with a cool one. On the throat place a compress soaked in cool water, cover the rest of the body.
Compress cabbage leaves. Wrap a sore throat with fresh cabbage leaves, tie a warm scarf on top. Replace the leaves after two hours, they can be pre-soaked in hot milk.