The leading role in the development of motion sickness is played by the vestibular apparatus. The reaction arises to the position and movement of the head.
Proprioreceptors are located in the muscles, tendons and joints. They transmit information about the position of the body in space.
The vestibular apparatus plays a leading role in the development of motion sickness.
Changes in location are carefully recorded, information is transmitted to the brain.
How to prevent thrombosis
During flights, do not sit in a chair so as not to earn deep venous thrombosis, it is also an economy class syndrome. Blood clots stuck to the walls of the veins pose a threat to life, and for their appearance it’s enough to spend 1.5–2 hours in an airplane chair.
• Knead your legs - Lift them and rotate them in feet, move your fingers, as if trying to grab a pencil, massage your lower legs with your hands.
• If you have varicose veins, put on compression tights, stockings.
How to avoid pressure surges
The pressure on board is like in the mountains at an altitude of 2 thousand meters above sea level, and the air is poor in oxygen and dry. Such conditions are uncomfortable for the heart and lungs and lead to dehydration.
• Refuse carbonated drinks and alcohol in favor of green tea and mineral water without gas at the rate of: 2 ml of liquid per 1 kg of weight every hour.
Ways to avoid motion sickness
• Book a seat in the front rows or in the wing area - the closer to the tail, the higher the risk of kinetosis.
• Eat 1.5–2 hours before your trip. In flight, confine yourself to small portions. No salted nuts, chips and popcorn - they dehydrate the body and cause nausea.
• When taking off and landing, dissolve sugar-free candies with vitamin C or chew mint gum - its taste plus a slight sourness and measured movements of the jaws relieve unpleasant symptoms.
• Focus on one point inside the cabin ahead of you. Do not look into the porthole - this makes the nausea worse: better close it with a curtain. By the way, reading on the plane leads to the same result.
• Breathe evenly and deeply. On the exhale, press 10-20 seconds with the index, middle and ring fingers on the point under the sternum corresponding to the solar plexus. This technique will relieve the attack.
Does flying always turn into a serious test? Contact a neurologist. Perhaps the doctor will advise you to take the drug for motion sickness, as well as vitamins C and B6, before the trip.
What to do if ears and nose are blocked
Differential pressure can provoke barotrauma. Especially if you fly with a runny nose. The result of barotrauma can be aerootite or aerosinusitis.
The main sign of aerosinusitis is bursting pain in the sinuses of the nose, and with aerootitis, congestion of the ears is preserved, hearing is reduced. By the way, with aerosinusitis crew members are suspended from flights for 10 days, with aerootite - for a week. And although you are not a pilot or a flight attendant, it is still necessary to turn to ENT for barotrauma.
So that the ears and sinuses do not suffer:
• Use vasoconstrictor drops before take-off if you have a runny nose.
When you climb and approach, swallow with your mouth open, yawn many times in a row: this will help balance the pressure inside and out.
• Massage the eardrums: as soon as the ears begin to lay, insert the index fingers into them and simultaneously move them back and forth, opening your mouth.
• Open your mouth and with your fingertips press in a certain rhythm on the cartilaginous protrusion that covers the front of the ear canal. This is a kind of "air" massage of the eardrum.
Nina KOVALEVA, neurologist of the highest category
« Symptoms of one of the most common airborne illnesses - motion sickness - are experienced by every fifth in flight. This condition has many names: motion sickness syndrome, kinetosis, vestibulopathy ... Shakes us because of the weakness of the vestibular apparatus, which is inherited from mother to daughter. Located in the inner ear, it reacts to a change in body position in space. In general, there is nothing dangerous in kinetosis. But sometimes a neurological pathology is hidden behind it, especially if it didn’t rock you before, but now it suddenly becomes. Then you need to see a doctor.
Nausea in the cabin is provoked by irritation of the vestibular apparatus, which is closely associated with the head emetic center. It is this center that controls the feeling of nausea and vomiting that occurs.
The nausea during flight is due to the following reasons:
In expectant mothers, signs of toxicosis may worsen.
Disease provocateurs include:
- CNS pathology.
- Kidney disease.
- Violation of gastric secretion.
- Gallstone disease.
How does air sickness manifest
The following symptoms of motion sickness are:
- The appearance of cold sweat.
- A condition of nausea turning into vomiting.
- Blanching of the skin.
- Dimming of consciousness.
We train the vestibular apparatus
When landing, unpleasant symptoms disappear. Weakness and slight dizziness remains for some time.
According to medical statistics, up to 12% of flying passengers have manifestations of air sickness.
What to do?
What to do in order not to be bad on the plane? The basic rules to protect yourself look like this:
- If the traveler is sick and has a stuffy nose, you need to heal in advance. Symptoms of a cold can increase the development of air sickness. So check your health before flying.
- Sleep well before flying and try to be less nervous.
- To eat. It is advisable to do this 120-140 minutes before departure. Preference should be given to light and simple products. You should not drink "heavy" drinks: "Fantu", "Pepsi", milk, alcohol. It can help with motion sickness.
- A few days before the trip, start taking ginger powder in capsules. The dosage should be checked with your doctor.
- Take an aspirin tablet 24 hours before departure and before boarding.
- If you have to fly for a very long time, you need to get out of the chair every hour and do a little exercise. The set of exercises should be clarified with the onboard conductors.
- Mint can help get rid of a mild attack of nausea. You need to have mint sweets or chewing gum with you.
- Choose the right place when flying. Looking through the window, the traveler will be able to fix his gaze on a horizontal line. The best place is in the front and middle of the aircraft, especially near the windows.
- You should not try to cope with nausea by closing your eyes. In this case, the clinical picture will intensify. No need to try to read, play electronic games and browse social networks. The wiggle of the aircraft will still be felt.
- Make acupressure. It is necessary to click on the point, which is located at a distance of four fingers from the wrist joint. And also before the trip you can wear a special bracelet that puts pressure on this point. There are no reliable facts confirming the effectiveness of such bracelets. Therefore, passengers are confident that the products operate according to the placebo method.
Universal motion sickness and nausea bracelet
You can take ginger in various forms:
- Warm drinks.
- Cool drinks.
- Sugar coated treats.
You can also bring fresh ginger root with you. It can be chewed throughout the flight.
In addition to ginger root, you need to have light food with you: bread, fruits, cookies, vegetables, diet waffles. You can include crackers, crackers, bananas, apple jam in your diet. It is desirable to drink juices and non-carbonated mineral water.
If it got bad
If the above methods did not help, and the traveler still felt ill, you need:
- Seek help from a flight attendant, especially if vomiting. You can ask him to transfer to another part of the airliner. Just not at the end of the plane, because there it shakes harder. And you also need to ask the explorer for a special package.
- Take a few deep breaths.
- Put a blindfold on your eyes.
- Start fanning yourself with a fan or newspaper. The flow of fresh air contributes to the normalization of health.
The medicine, so as not to get sick on the plane, is prescribed by the attending physician. You can not take medications at your own peril and risk, many of them can cause side effects, provoke an increase in the clinical picture.
Most medicines cause drowsiness. It is advisable to drink them 30 minutes before departure.
The drug from motion sickness - Dramina
Recommended preparations are presented in the table.
|Dramina||It is a histamine receptor blocker. Anticholinergic properties. Helps reduce or arrest the histamine-induced increase in tonus of smooth intestinal muscles. Main effects: antiemetic, sedative.||142|
|Bonin||It is used to treat and prevent dizziness (including with labyrinth-vestibular disorders, motion sickness), nausea and vomiting. Effects: antihistamine, antiemetic.||From 150|
|Vertigohel||A multicomponent homeopathic preparation, the effect of which is due to its constituent components. It is used for dizziness of various origins.||328|
|Air sea||Lozenges. They are used for various degrees of motion sickness. The drug is not recommended for people who have an allergic reaction to one or more of its components.||99|
|Phenibut||Nootropic agent. By normalizing tissue metabolism, it improves the functional state of the brain. Beneficial effect on cerebral circulation. It removes the feeling of anxiety, panic, tension, anxiety, fear. It has a slight anticonvulsant effect.||From 106|
|Cinedril||Blocker of histamine H1 receptors. Reduces the excitability of the vomiting center. Main effects: antiemetic, anticholinergic. And also the medicine helps to reduce dizziness.||From 187|
Medicines of this group are used only when nausea occurs. The composition contains the stopping sensitivity of metoclopramide receptors.
Antiemetic drug - Cerucal 10 mg No. 50 tablets
|Torecan||Piperazine derivative of phenothiazine. It has an effect on the chemoreceptor trigger zone, as well as on the center of vomiting. Helps to eliminate dizziness. It affects the focal points in the reticular formation. Recommended for nausea and vomiting of various etiologies.||From 176|
|Tserukal||A central-action antiemetic that blocks dopamine receptors. The mechanism of action is based both on the central and peripheral effects of metoclopramide. Promotes the rapid elimination of nausea and hiccups.||115|
Medicines of this group contribute to the dullness of signs of motion sickness.
|Sydnocarb||Psychostimulant with relatively low toxicity, the gradual development of a stimulating effect. It has an effect on the central nervous system as a psychostimulant. Not addictive. Recommended for neurotic disorders, accompanied by bright vegetative crises.||1000|
|Caffeine||Psychostimulant and analeptic drug, methylxanthine derivative. Helps to increase physical and mental performance, stimulate mental activity, physical activity. Temporarily reduces fatigue and drowsiness. In large quantities, depresses the nervous system. It helps with irritability.||From 45|
Tell me tips on how to better reschedule a flight? I'm rocking on the plane.
If you do not feel well after take-off, then most likely you have "air sickness". Try to follow our recommendations and you can cope with a feeling of nausea.
Try not to board the plane hungry. This will never help cope with air sickness (as many mistakenly believe). This just contributes to motion sickness.
Before and during the flight, we recommend light snacks like fruits, vegetables, cookies, etc. You need to beware of coffee, black tea, alcohol, nicotine, as well as spicy and fatty foods.
You can also take vitamin B1, it plays an important role and helps people suffering from air sickness to cope with problems with the vestibular apparatus. These foods contain the maximum amount of vitamin B1: artichokes, fish, oatmeal, rice, asparagus, wheat products, and pork.
It helps to overcome the feeling of nausea without using ginger medications. You can drink a cup of ginger tea before the flight. Ginger is a natural remedy that helps to effectively cope with a feeling of nausea and does not have any side effects.
If possible, choose a suitable place on the plane. You can ask the airline representative at the front desk for this. Ask for a seat next to the central aisle in the wing area. With sharp changes in aircraft altitude, this part of the cabin is the least tangible.
You can also take a seat at the porthole. If the flight takes place in the daytime, then you can find a sense of balance and overcome nausea by fixing your gaze at one point on the horizon.
Chewing gum also helps many cope with "air sickness."
Central nervous system
Recommended funds are presented in the table.
Daytime anxiolytic, 1,4-benzodiazepine derivative - Medazepam
|Medazepam||Daytime anxiolytic derivative of 1,4-benzodiazepine. It has a sedative, anxiolytic effect. Recommended for neurosis, anxiety, panic attacks. Helps reduce excitability, removes irritation.||212|
|Relanium||An anxiolytic drug, a benzodiazepine derivative. It has a depressing effect on the central nervous system. Main effects: anxiolytic, sedative, hypnotic, muscle relaxant and anticonvulsant.||244|
|Prazepam||Benzodiazepine tranquilizer. It has a good sedative effect. In the human body is transformed into dysmethyldiazepam.||418|
Normalization of the vestibular apparatus
Medicines contribute to the normalization of blood circulation in the cells of the vestibular apparatus.
Aminalon - contributes to the restoration of metabolic processes in GM
|Betaserk||It is a synthetic histamine analogue. Helps reduce the frequency and strength of dizziness, reduces tinnitus, and improves hearing. Sometimes it enhances the secretion of gastric juice.||338|
|Sermion||Alpha-blocker, which improves cerebral and peripheral circulation. It has a direct effect on cerebral neurotransmitter systems.||324|
|Aminalon||Gamma-aminobutyric acid. Helps to restore metabolic processes in GM, accompanies the utilization of glucose by the brain and the removal of toxic metabolic products from it. Effects: anticonvulsant, antihypoxic.||139|
|Flunarizine||Effective for any dizziness associated with circulatory disorders, as well as with vestibular disorders.||115|
How to help a child
If a child cradles a plane (WHAT TO TAKE A CHILD ON A PLANE?), Proceed as follows:
- Reassure the baby.
- Provide him access to cool air.
- Go to another place on the plane.
- Ask for a few breathing exercises.
- If there is no allergy to citrus fruits, give a slice of lemon, orange or mandarin to suck. You can give a slice of apple, peach, sour candy.
- Ask to look at any fixed object.
Children can be given medications such as Dramina, Vertigohel and Avia-Sea. Preliminary consultation with a doctor is strictly required.