Not wanting to get into a situation when your favorite thing is painted in an unexpected color after washing, you need to consider some recommendations.
First of allAlways carefully sort any laundry. If you plan to go for washing white clothes, even old colored items should not be added to it.
Secondly, in any circumstances, it is necessary to rely on the information that is indicated on the clothing label, in particular, pay attention to what temperature is acceptable for washing and whether machine washing is possible. It often happens that things that are colored during abrasion are affected by too high a temperature of the water, which affected the “washing out” of the pigment from the fabric fibers.
Thirdly, before washing, if there is a suspicion that the clothes will shed, it is better to conduct a “home examination”. Moisten a small piece of cloth with hot water, then rinse and see if the shade is washed.
However, if the item becomes colored after the washing process, you need to use the tips from the category of "first aid". This is especially true in the case when ugly color stains appear on bright things.
Laundry colored things: emergency
- Do not wait until the product dries. When wet, they must be washed again at least once. In this case, a large amount of active powder should be added to the water. In a situation with bright and snow-white things, it’s superfluous to add a suitable bleach. For colored items, a stain remover should be used. The machine should be washed at a water temperature of approximately 60 degrees.
- If re-washing did not immediately help, boiling clothes is the second emergency option. After loading all things in a metal container, pouring water and adding the necessary detergents (powder, soap or soap shavings, bleach, stain remover), put the container on a stove. Boil for 2-3 hours, not forgetting to stir the clothes. After rinsing in running water.
If the emergency methods for clothes that have faded after washing do not help, you can turn to some other methods. They include folk tips and tricks for household cleaning.
Some more useful articles for hostesses:
How to save faded things: special tools
Pulling clothes from the washing machine on which ugly stains, stains suddenly appeared or she completely changed color, the question naturally arises of how to wash now favorite things. First of all, you should turn to special means - bleaches and stain removers, solvents. However, they must be selected very carefully so as not to harm the fabric and not to spoil the product completely.
The choice of chemicals
- If your favorite light trousers or blouses are painted during the washing process, you can eliminate the unnecessary color with a solvent marked “White” or using an oxygen-containing bleach. White things can also be tried to boil with the addition of "White."
- For colored items that have changed their color, the spot remover marked “Color” will become an actual choice. Asian (Korean) stain removers, such as Paracle, as well as Oxi Clean, have proven themselves well.
- Color removers sold in household cleaning departments are suitable for saving dyed fabrics (not white). However, they are distinguished by very strong toxic fumes, it is necessary to use the products strictly according to the instructions, protecting the skin and respiratory tract, eyes. One of the recommended remedies of this type is “Dr. Beckmann 3 in 1 ".
Proven means to which you should contact if things have changed their color, have shed, are painted, include:
- Laundry soap with which you can rub individual stains on clothes from the wrong side, leave for 2-4 hours and wash after the clothes
- laundry soap with a bleaching effect, from which you can prepare a solution: add water to the water, rubbed with fine chips, then soak spoiled clothes in the mixture for 6-8 hours, then wash in a convenient way,
- when things have stained during normal washing, powder or soap can be replaced with gel or dishwashing foam, such detergents have a strong concentration, removing paint from the fabric, this approach will work only if the colored streaks on the product did not have time to completely dry.
What to do if there is not a single suitable special tool at hand that would help save shed clothes? You can turn to folk methods, which are not particularly difficult, but can not always guarantee an absolute result. There are not so many options for “people's help”, so you can try most of them, trying to save your favorite clothes.
What will help when a colored or light thing is painted during home washing?
- Pour a small amount of lemon juice on the seamy side of the clothes where there are stains, attach a ring of citrus fruit or use a solution of citric acid (add half a bag of acid to 200 ml of liquid). Leave the clothes in this form for several hours, then overwrite.
- If the products are colored unevenly during washing, home cleansing paste will help to remove the unwanted shade. It is prepared in a 1: 1 ratio of starch, water, coarse salt and shavings of bleaching (or simple household) soap. The resulting slurry is applied inside out, left to influence for 4-5 hours.
- White vinegar will help in the fight against undesirable color. 3-4 tablespoons of the substance must be added to soapy water and soaked in the resulting mixture spoiled clothing for the night. It is also acceptable to pour vinegar in an amount of up to 5 tablespoons per 10 liters of liquid in a container with things, after sending a solution with clothes to boil.
- The prepared thick soda solution (for 2 tablespoons of soda a little warm water) helps in a situation if things have partially changed their color after erasing. It should soak products for 3-5 hours.
- An effective means is ammonia. In water, where ammonia is diluted (2 teaspoons), fabric products should be soaked for several hours. Or add ammonia or concentrated ammonia to water (20 grams of substance per 5 liters of liquid), load clothes in a container and boil for 3-4 hours.
- Another option that can be combined with ammonia or used separately is hydrogen peroxide. Mixing with water and ammonia in a ratio of 2: 1: 1, soiled linen is soaked in such a solution. Or you can add 2-3 tablespoons of peroxide, the same amount of detergent in water, in which after boiling clothes for several hours until the paint is completely removed from the fibers.
- An unexpected folk way that will help save the affected thing during washing is potassium permanganate. 2-4 granules of this product must be dissolved in warm water. Then soak the fabric products for an hour and a half, then wash. This method is not suitable for clothing in bright colors.
Tricky tip (video)
About how to clean various products of white color from various contaminants using soap and potassium permanganate, described in the video:
The appearance of ugly stains and color spots on things after erasing is not the most pleasant situation. But you can still try to eliminate the consequences of improper washing, taking into account all the recommendations and slowly get rid of the spoiled thing.
How to act right away
No need to be very upset and throw away the painted thing or turn it into overalls for a summer residence.
There are several simple and effective methods, the immediate application of which will help restore the previous color.
- Act promptly. Do not allow affected clothing to dry and do not iron it. Dry treatment with high temperatures will only fix the paint, making its subsequent removal more difficult or even impossible.
- Digestion is not suitable for every material. Many fabrics, especially synthetic ones, are deformed by aggressive heat treatment. In this case, it will not work to return things to their former attractiveness.
- After unsuccessful washing, try to wash the dyed clothes again, but now exclude all suspicious materials, and it is better to wash them separately. Use active powder for washing and set the temperature close to 60˚C, but not more than the tag on clothes allows.
- If the white fabric is damaged, add bleach containing oxygen to the machine. Soak in whiteness, if the material is able to safely survive a similar procedure.
We return faded things to their former purity - video:
What to do if things are colored
- Laundry soap. This universal cleaning agent will be effective if stain removal measures have been taken without delay. We soak the painted clothes in warm water and carefully wash the problem areas with a bar of laundry soap. Leave for a few hours and then wash in the usual way.
- Soda. Slightly colored areas of clothing can be bleached with ordinary baking soda. For half a bucket of warm water (about 5 l) add 6 tablespoons of soda and soak in the prepared solution for 5-6 hours. Then rinse with the dye.
- Vinegar. If the fabric is dyed in places, the situation will be corrected by ordinary colorless vinegar. To do this, first prepare a solution. In 6 liters of warm soapy water, add 100 g of table vinegar and mix thoroughly. Soak the clothes in the mixture and wait 7 hours. At the end we look at the result. If it is unsatisfactory we boil for half an hour, after which we wash it by hand or machine.
- Turpentine. A colored item made of cotton material that has become one as a result of unsuccessful washing will restore turpentine. First, we make a second attempt to wash in a gentle mode for the fabric. Then we add five tablespoons of turpentine to half a bucket of water, carefully stir and soak the clothes there for 2-3 hours. We erase, as usual, and rinse.
- Hydrogen peroxide. A six percent solution of this antiseptic can help with resuscitation of white or light linen. First prepare the solution. To do this, you need to dilute 20 g of peroxide in 5 liters of water. Then we take a suitable metal container, put the affected clothes there, fill it with the prepared mixture, put on fire, bring to a boil and cook for half an hour. Unforgettable stir, pre-armed with a wooden stick. The method is good for fully painted products, as well as for cases of partial pigmentation.
- Ammonia. If bright things are colored during washing, they can be restored using ammonia. This medicine must be diluted in warm water (a tablespoon of 5 liters of liquid). Next, look for a bowl or pan, fill the solution with problematic clothes and boil for 5 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- Starch. If a nuisance has happened recently and the dye has not finally gotten into the material, starch and some additional substances will help. It will take a tablespoon of starch, grated laundry soap, salt, and citric acid. All ingredients are added in equal amounts. Using the resulting mixture, we treat the affected areas from the wrong side, leave it overnight, after which we erase it sparingly and rinse it.
- Manganese. A white blouse that has lost its attractive appearance will be saved by potassium permanganate. We use it as follows: we make a solution of potassium permanganate of pink color of medium saturation, add the powder for hand washing and soak for a couple of hours, after which it is enough to slightly wash and rinse.
- Washing powder + bleach. Instead of manganese, you can use the usual powder for white, and to enhance the effect, add bleach. We pour five hundred grams of powder into the water and a tablespoon of bleach. Pour the clothes with the prepared solution and put on fire. Bring to a boil and cook for half an hour over low heat. Turn off, cover and leave overnight. In the morning we erase the usual mode for clothes.
- Lemon juice. We restore things that have been painted in places with lemon juice. Freshly squeezed juice is applied to the colored spots, we stand for a couple of hours, after which we wash and rinse. An alternative way is to soak the affected item in an aqueous solution of citric acid before washing. Lemon acid is a gentle cleaning agent that can be used even when painting delicate materials.
We use special equipment
If the problem is not immediately noticed, alternative methods of solution may be powerless. In such cases, it remains to hope for the achievements of the modern chemical industry.
- "Antilinin." According to the inscription on the package, the product will help if the clothes are colored accidentally, while it can be used for colored materials.
- Bleach for natural and synthetic fabrics. The oxygen-containing product is quite effective mainly for light materials.
- Stain removers for non-ferrous materials. They usually have the corresponding designation “Color”. Among the most preferred, you can pay attention to Paracle, Oxi or Clean. To save white clothing will help drugs with the designation "White".
Such products best restore natural materials, synthetics are somewhat more difficult to interact with the active substances of bleaches. To whom, in the case of artificial tissues, the desired result may not be achieved. The main rule when choosing a bleach is to give preference to products containing oxygen. They are characterized by soft and at the same time effective action.
For handwashing, it is best to presoak clothes with bleach for 6-8 hours. Then we wash and rinse. Machine wash requires special attention and is permissible only if the tag on the dress or other clothes does not contradict this. Try not to use powder products for whitening in the machine, the gel has a more gentle effect while it is no less effective. Before use, dilute the drug in a small amount of water, fill it in the air conditioning compartment and set it to repeated rinse.
Dense tissue can be applied topically to stained areas. Apply a generous amount of cleaning agent to the wetted spot and lightly wash. After we leave in an aqueous solution for 5-10 minutes and erase the usual fabric regime with thorough rinsing.
How to prevent staining
It is much easier to prevent such troubles than to deal with them, but, unfortunately, they are interested in preventive methods after the incident.
- Do not combine colored and white things, an unwanted color may appear even from a small detail on clothing.
- Look at the label before washing, it will save you from many surprises,
- Also, do not wash fabrics with radically different tones, for example, red with green or blue.
- The higher the temperature during washing, the greater the likelihood of staining.
- When buying a new T-shirt or blouse, immediately wash it, but do it separately.
- If there is a suspicion that the material is prone to molting, try the so-called color traps.It is enough to put a couple of napkins in the drum of the machine and all the faded paint will accumulate on them. Color absorbers are sold in household chemical stores.
- You can reduce the loss of color with things by fixing it with salt. Prepare a saline solution and soak the clothes in it overnight.
- Most shedding bright cotton products, low-quality synthetic materials and jeans of any color.
Tips for washing things properly - video:
Non-observance of the washing rules leads to the fact that the material not only sheds, but also sits or stretches. Therefore, do not wash synthetic and natural fabrics together, set the temperature regime close to 60˚C. And it is better to avoid surprises, follow the recommendations indicated on the clothing label.
How to avoid a problem?
In order not to “save” faded things, it is necessary to properly organize the washing process itself:
- Ideally, white and colored clothes are washed separately, and bright items are sorted by shades. Blue jeans, for example, can change the look of a red t-shirt.
- For the first time, it is advisable not to mix all new things with other clothes. There is a risk that not only white, but also colored fabrics will be painted in their tones.
- Hot water greatly enhances the ability to color, so you need to consider the recommendations for selecting the temperature indicated on the label.
- Do not put synthetic and natural fabrics in the machine at the same time.
If you notice that after washing the white things have faded, you should not wait until they dry. Moreover, you do not need to iron them, because then it will be almost impossible to save damaged clothes.
To begin with, you must immediately wash at least once all painted products using the most active powder and bleach. Laundry soap is also suitable for rubbing stains before washing, leaving for several hours.
Wet colored items will help save the ordinary dishwashing detergent. It is added to hot water and the products are soaked for two hours.
If the fabric is light, it will be useful to use a bleaching agent. For color models, a stain remover is suitable.
When the machine is reloaded, the machine selects a mode of 40-60 degrees. Washing faded things is effective if they fade from other clothes.
Before using any of the whitening products, they should be tried on an inconspicuous area of the product. When changing the structure of the fabric, you should not take risks, but rather trust the dry cleaning professionals.
When choosing bleaches, washing powders, stain removers, it is better to limit yourself to the means of one company. It is also undesirable to combine ammonia and chloride components, because such a mixture can seriously damage the structure of the fabric.
It is also important to know that it is easiest to restore cotton to its former appearance. But many artificial materials after painting can be lost. It is especially difficult to remove stains from nylon.
Shedding a thing during home washing is not uncommon, so modern manufacturers have actively reacted to this problem. It is necessary to choose a remedy taking into account the following factors:
- Household chemicals marked “White” and various oxygen-containing substances will help whiten linen or other light products. White clothes and bedding sets that can withstand high temperatures can be soaked for a few minutes with White.
- There are also a lot of means that can wash away a faded color thing, but the most effective is the choice of stain remover with the inscription “Color”. You can also use substances to restore color, but only after carefully reading the instructions.
- The safest and most tested means in this case are still considered ordinary household soap with a whitening effect. Its shavings must be dissolved in water, and then soaked in dyed clothes in it for 2-3 hours.
You can wash faded things with the help of long-known means:
- Dissolve 1 tablespoon in hot water (10 l). ammonia. Clothing soaked in this product is left for an hour and a half. To eliminate the unpleasant odor, all items should be washed thoroughly after bleaching.
- If clothes are shed, at home, citric acid, starch, salt and grated laundry soap will help to rectify the situation. Homemade cleaning paste is used if the clothes are colored unevenly. Each product is taken in a tablespoon and stirred with water until a thick slurry is formed. The tool is applied from the wrong side to problem areas and left overnight. To achieve the best effect, after rinsing the product should be washed in a machine.
- If many methods have been tried, but it was not possible to remove stains from formerly snow-white T-shirts and other things, you can take the following actions. Add a few crystals of manganese to the water along with the powder and soak the plain things for an hour and a half. Rinse using a large amount of cool water.
- A thick soda solution is only effective if the fabric has slightly changed its color. For its preparation, the product is diluted with warm water to the state of slurry and applied to the stain for several minutes. After the thing should be thoroughly rinsed. The method is most effective for denim.
- An undesirable color from woolen or silk clothes will help to remove vinegar if, after washing, rinse the item in cold water at the rate of 2 tbsp. l funds for 6 liters of water.
Whitening things at home is not uncommon, and sometimes this is done using the most unexpected improvised means. For example, bleaching towels with vegetable oil.
If things have become colored during washing and when restoring, there is a risk of spoiling them with home remedies, then it is best to contact dry cleaning. Perhaps there they will pick up an effective method of resuscitation of damaged tissue. Nevertheless, it is possible to approach the solution of the arisen problem creatively, applying design savvy:
- Armed with a stencil, sponges and paints, apply the pattern you like on the spots.
- If you feel confident in the role of the artist, the original pattern can be applied without any additional devices, using a spray can of acrylic paint intended for painting on fabric. The pattern dries quickly and does not fade during washing.
- Items made of cotton material can be boiled in aniline dye, choosing a new color if desired.
- Adherents of a bright style will use an application with which it is easy to mask the resulting stain. Hide coloring, having received a bold design decision, you can also sequins and even rhinestones.
Shed things should not be thrown away until all methods of their resuscitation have been tried. For this, both active chemicals and habitual home remedies are suitable. In extreme cases, you can seek help from a dry cleaning service or mask the resulting spots with a manual application and a pattern.
It is also important to remember that it is much more difficult to “save” synthetic products than cotton clothes, so you should be careful when washing them.
What to do if things are stained. First steps
Any item of clothing can shed. Unwanted stains can be caused by washing new wardrobe items, clothes made of bright fabrics, wool or denim. The proper organization of washing and the distribution of things help reduce the risk of spoilage.
If such a situation has occurred, do not panic.
The product can be saved if you immediately use the proven methods:
- Boiling. Under the influence of high temperature, the paint is washed out of the fabric. This is one of the most effective methods, but it is not suitable for all types of fabric. Some materials may warp.
- Re wash. It is necessary to remove all things that can molt. It is better to wash the item separately. The active powder and the maximum temperature that the tag on the clothes allows will help return the original appearance to the products.
- Whitening. The method is suitable only for white products.
Advice! It is important to act quickly and immediately after painting. Drying of clothes and ironing them will lead to the fact that the paint is even more firmly fixed in the fibers of the fabric. After that, it will be much more difficult or simply impossible to withdraw.
A thing made of natural fabric must be washed again.
If the spots remain, then you can resort to the following methods:
- Boiling. White things are placed in a pan and boiled for 2-3 hours.
- Soaking in ammonia. For 5-6 liters of water, take 1 cup of alcohol. It is enough to hold things in solution for 1 hour.
- Soaking with hydrogen peroxide. Similarly, add 50 ml of peroxide to 5 liters of water and pour things for 1 hour.
- A mixture of starch, lemon juice and salt. The ingredients are mixed in equal parts and diluted in a container of water to a state of thick sour cream. The resulting mixture is treated with stains and thoroughly rinsed after half an hour.
- Potassium permanganate. The thing should be soaked in a weak solution of potassium permanganate for 20-30 minutes.
Synthetic clothing requires delicate care, does not tolerate too high temperatures, bright sunlight and chlorine-based chemicals.
To get rid of stains on synthetic things, you can apply:
- Liquid ammonia, laundry soap and hydrogen peroxide. Mix 5 tbsp. l alcohol, 1 bar of soap and 2 tbsp. l peroxides, dilute the ingredients in 10 liters of water. Soiled wardrobe items are soaked in the resulting solution for 30 minutes. and rinse.
- Aspirin. 2 tablets are diluted with 1 glass of water and the places of contamination are wetted. After 5 minutes the thing is extended in the usual way.
- Laundry soap. The spoiled thing needs to be immediately thoroughly soaped and soaked for several hours, then washed in the usual way.
The following methods are suitable for cleaning things from delicate fabrics:
- Washing powder, ammonia, salt and hydrogen peroxide. To 5 liters of water add 1 tbsp. l each ingredient and the stained things are soaked in the solution. After a couple of hours, you should rinse the laundry well.
- Dry mustard (1 tbsp) is diluted in 1 liter of hot water. The mixture is insisted for a couple of hours, then the dirty things are washed in it.
How to whiten a white blouse: 7 folk recipes if it turned gray or yellow
How to use bleach
Bleaches are effective, but when applying them, some rules must be taken into account:
- it’s better to apply them only to natural fabrics, when bleaching artificial materials they may be useless,
- give preference to bleaches, which contain oxygen, because they are more effective and gently act,
- for hand washing, it is recommended to pre-soak things with bleach for 6-8 hours,
- machine washing is allowed, if it is not prohibited by a tag on clothes, when washing in a machine it is better to use bleaches in the form of gels,
- on dense tissues bleach problem areas, withstand 10-15 minutes, then wash.
Help in cleaning things from synthetic fabrics will have:
- A mixture of lemon juice, starch and laundry soap. The ingredients are mixed in equal proportions and applied to the places of pollution. After a couple of hours, the clothes are washed in the usual way.
- Repeated rinsing in clean water. Effective for fresh spots.
To remove stains from colored delicate fabrics, you can use a mixture of soda and vinegar. A tablespoon of soda is quenched with vinegar and applied to the pollution. After an hour, rinse well.
How to wash towels: effective methods of whitening and cleaning terry materials
The dyeing of the fabric as a result of molting always becomes an unpleasant surprise for the hostess, often making the item unusable, as it is difficult to restore it to its former appearance.
Immediate application of proven methods will have an effect and help to extend the life of things, and compliance with the washing rules will reduce the risk of a problem.